Repiping Your Home? What to Expect From the Pros During the Process
Your galvanized pipes are old and corroding. Rust blocks off the pipes, reducing your water pressure and even contaminating the water itself. If you’re not careful, corroded pipes can lead to leaks, which means mold, rot and water damage around your home. If you want to prevent these issues, it’s time to consider repiping: replacing your old, rusted pipes with new ones. Here’s a basic guide to having your home repiped.
- Inspection and estimates. How extensive is the repiping job? Are you having both your hot and cold water pipes replaced? What about your faucets and other fixtures, or your water heater? Corroded pipes can sometimes cause problems with these things as well, so get them checked by a plumber before embarking on the project and find out how much everything will cost.
- Preparation. The procedure may leave your house without water for upwards of a week. And it can be messy. Talk to your plumber about making appropriate preparations, including an alternate source of water, as well as protecting your floor, furniture, and other belongings from debris and water damage.
- Installation. This is done one section at a time, over the course of a few days. Understand what type of pipes your plumber is using (copper, PEX, etc.) and what the benefits and detriments are compared to other options.
- Testing. Once the repiping is completed, you’ll need another plumbing inspection done, to make sure the new pipes are installed properly and functioning well. They’ll also need to test for leaks, just in case.
- Drywall. Repiping your home means cutting out large sections of the wall, so once the process is over, you’ll need to replace them. A lot of plumbers can handle this for you as well, or if not, they should be able to recommend you to someone who can. Either way, make sure that redoing your drywall is part of the initial estimate for the project.
For help with repiping and other plumbing problems, contact our experts at Black Diamond Plumbing & Mechanical. We’re a trusted source of quality plumbing solutions.
Please fill out the form and we will get in touch with you shortly. We look forward to serving you!
Proudly ServingThe Chicagoland Area
Addison | Algonquin | Antioch | Arlington Heights | Aurora | Barrington | Bartlett | Batavia | Beloit | Belvidere | Bensenville | Bloomingdale | Bolingbrook | Buffalo Grove | Byron | Caledonia | Capron | Carol Stream | And Much More!VIew ALL