Hire the Right Plumber From the Start — Tips for Choosing the Perfect Pro for the Job
The process of hiring a plumber can seem intimidating. It’s not always easy to decide on the right person for the job. Here are some tips to help with choosing and working with a plumber.
- Get names: Talk to friends, family or neighbors about the positive plumbing experiences they have had, and ask who they used. Remember that choosing a plumber to undertake a home renovation project is entirely different than hiring a plumber who can carry out decent repairs.
- Always check state licensing: You can check online on your state’s licensing website to see whether your chosen plumber has had any complaints and, if so, whether these have been resolved. Just because a plumber is licensed doesn’t necessarily mean he or she is a great plumber.
- Know exactly what work you want done before you call the plumber. You may not know all the ins and outs of exactly what needs to be done, but picture the end result and make sure your plumber knows exactly what you’re looking for.
- Make a “cheat sheet” for your plumbing calls: This means compiling a list of questions to ask potential plumbers, including what hourly rate they charge, are they bonded and do they have worker’s compensation and liability insurance, whether they can obtain permits if necessary or whether you can work out a deal.
- Call around: Ask to speak to the managers, although they may not be used to speaking directly to homeowners.
- Obtain your permit: While making your calls, and assuming your plumber will not apply for you, this is the ideal time to apply for your permit.
- Buy your fixtures: This is another thing you need to choose and pay for yourself, although a good plumber can advise you. This includes taps, toilets, and sinks.
- Prepare the job site: Plumbers can be expensive, so why waste time getting them to clear crawl spaces or open up walls? If it’s possible to do it yourself, do it.
- Remain on the site to answer questions, but don’t get in the way.
For more advice on hiring the right plumber for the job, contact the experts at Black Diamond Plumbing and Mechanical today.
Please fill out the form and we will get in touch with you shortly. We look forward to serving you!
Proudly ServingThe Chicagoland Area
Addison | Algonquin | Antioch | Arlington Heights | Aurora | Barrington | Bartlett | Batavia | Beloit | Belvidere | Bensenville | Bloomingdale | Bolingbrook | Buffalo Grove | Byron | Caledonia | Capron | Carol Stream | And Much More!VIew ALL