Home Holiday Checklist
The holidays are a time for family gatherings, fun, food, and all-around festive-ness. With your homes filled with loved ones this year, check out our home holiday checklist, and feel free to download and print it off as you ready your house for guests this holiday season. And remember, the experts at Black Diamond will always be there when you need us to help with any of the items on this list or any other plumbing, heating, cooling, or electrical need you might have!
- Test flush your toilets. Have a guest bathroom that’s only used when you have company? Keep an eye out for any suspicious sounds, leaks, drips, etc., from all the plumbing in your guest bathrooms.
- Prep your water heater. When’s the last time you had your water heater flushed? Now might be a good time since it’ll be getting a lot more use over the holiday season (with guests especially).
- Protect your outdoor faucets. Cover your outdoor spigots with a styrofoam faucet cover, disconnect your hoses, and shut off outdoor water valves.
- For all toilets: If you’re having guests, put a sign in your bathroom reminding them not to flush feminine products down the toilet.
- Plumbing system: It wouldn’t hurt to get a full-system inspection before you have a full house. Nothing’s worse than a clogged toilet or sewage backup with a house full of guests!
- Avoid the Clark Griswold: Utilize GFCI outlets when decorating outside. Not only will they protect you from shock hazards, but they’ll automatically de-energize if the levels are irregular. Don’t overload your outlets either. Plugging in all the cords in one outlet is a major NO.
- Timers, timers, timers: This isn’t just for the holidays! Timers are a great way to save money on electric bills year-round but especially when your home is extra-festive during the holiday season.
- Kitchen tips: Avoid putting fibrous foods such as potato skins, pasta, and coffee grounds down your garbage disposal. Keep the water running plus an extra 10 to 15 seconds to make sure the food passes through your plumbing system.
Be prepared this holiday season by downloading our FREE checklist
Please fill out the form and we will get in touch with you shortly. We look forward to serving you!
Proudly ServingThe Chicagoland Area
Addison | Algonquin | Antioch | Arlington Heights | Aurora | Barrington | Bartlett | Batavia | Beloit | Belvidere | Bensenville | Bloomingdale | Bolingbrook | Buffalo Grove | Byron | Caledonia | Capron | Carol Stream | And Much More!VIew ALL